There are several benefits to having in Australian Business Number (ABN) for your business, including:
- You can register a business name with ASIC
- You can form a company
- You can register for Goods and Services Tax (GST) with the ATO
- You can claim GST credits if you have registered for GST
- You can claim fuel tax credits
- You can claim energy grant credits
- You may avoid Pay As You Go (PAYG) tax being deducted from payments you receive
- You can register .com.au Australian domain names
Do I Need an Australian Business Number (ABN)?
If you are trying to decide whether to get an ABN for your business, check out this article for some tips.
How to Get an ABN
Australian Business Numbers are issued by the Australian Business Register (ABR) which is a branch of the Australian Tax Office (ATO). ABNs are free if you do not use a third party agent such as an accountant to register for one.
If you decide you need an ABN for your business go to the Australian Business Register and submit your details online. The ABR should inform you within 14 days whether your application has been successful.